Individuals wishing to check out materials from the Schroon Lake Public Library must have a valid library card. Library cards are valid for one year from date of issue. Identification must be presented in order to update the card.
A. Adults: A free card is issued to any resident who presents identification and proof of current address. A resident is defined as living within or owning property within the Schroon Lake Public Library’s area chartered to serve. Examples of acceptable identification include:
- Valid driver’s license with current address
- Non-driver I.D.
- Current checking account (show check book)
- Rental/typed lease that shows address.
- Utility bill
- Property tax statement
- House or property title or copy of mortgage agreement
- Cancelled mail, postmarked within the last two weeks (mail with a P.O. box is not an acceptable form of identification.
- Current school I.D
- Current report card showing mailing address
- Working papers showing mailing address.
C. Children (under 14 years): children are eligible for a library card when they enter kindergarten. A parent/legal guardian signature is required for children under 14 years of age. Parents/guardians may obtain a card for their child by presenting proof of residency and by signing the registration card. The parent/guardian assumes responsibility for all selections of materials and any fines or charges incurred through the use of the child’s card.
D. Non-Resident Cards:
Patrons whose permanent, legal residence is in North Warren, or a town in the Clinton-Essex- Franklin- Library System, that is not serviced by a library, can apply for a one-year non -resident library card at no charge. Applicants must show valid I.D. and are subject to the same policies and rules as resident card holders.
E. Courtesy Cards: courtesy cards are available to persons, 18 years or older, temporarily residing in Schroon Lake. To obtain a courtesy card, the applicant must provide photo I.D., showing applicant’s permanent legal address, and fill out a registration card. Courtesy cards are issued for applicant’s length of stay.
Patrons with courtesy cards:
May check-out up to 4 items at a time
- May not use the interlibrary loan service
- Have a limit of 1 courtesy card per family
- Library card is kept at the circulation desk
- Are not able to borrow eReaders
- Are not given a PIN.